Friday, May 04, 2007

 

The Final Push

Well, three weeks from today I'll be in Edmonton, getting ready to race the next day. How quickly the time passes!

I've got about 10 hours of running lined up for this weekend as my last really big training effort. So far, all the little aches and pains that seemed to have been lingering from those earlier injuries seemed to have faded to the past.

My biggest concern at this point is the blistering. Last weekend I ran a half marathon (setting a new PR in the process 1:36:24) and I developed some crazy blisters on the balls of both feet. 5 days later, one of them is still tender enough that my foot bled during my run last night. Good thing I don't wear white socks anymore :-) It was those blisters that stopped me in my tracks when trying to continue my run on the hill later that morning. My feet just hurt too much.

Interestingly enough, when I run on the trails, my feet are fine. It seems to be the roads that mash them up. I'm not sure what the root cause is, but it's pretty frustrating. Bodyglide only goes so far in keeping them at bay so I must do some more research on other preventative techniques.

Now is the time to start making my packing list for the trip. Surprisingly, I didn't forget anything last year. Now if I can just find that list, I'll be golden.

The best part of the weekend is knowing that Natalie is able to make it! For a while we weren't sure as her work commitments might have kept her away. A big plus is that she'll be able to post to the blog from her blackberry so you, the caring fans, can find out how things are going on the trail.

The social side of the weekend is shaping up to be huge too, it will be good to meet some of the virtual maniacs coming from afar.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?