Sunday, April 15, 2007

 

And I'm Back!

Well, it's been a spring of frustration. Injuries suck; they suck bad. First, it was my IT band that started acting up, causing some real pain in my knee. Just as I managed to get it under control, my calf starts doing some nasty stuff. So in the last five weeks it feels like I've done almost no running.

This weekend was when it all started to change and I felt bold enough to actually proclaim "I'm Back Baby!" ala George in Seinfeld. Now I hope by uttering this I haven't jinxed myself :-)

The run that convinced me that I was well back on track seems so short in the grand scheme of things, but it was the intensity that sold me. I did just under 15 miles in just under 2 hours, an average pace of 8:04 with the last half approaching threshold pace. It was a liberating run. It was the run that I needed to get out of the Blackfoot panic funk I've been in for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

I talked to my coach and we figured out that I'll do a shorter than normal taper this time around, probably only 2 weeks instead of 3 or 4 that seems to be the conventional wisdom. There's going to be some really good quality runs coming in the next few weeks, trying to find that level where I don't fall into the trap of over-training.

Now that I don't feel like I'm faking the running, I'll try to keep the blog more up to date as well. I know there's a couple regular fans who read my ramblings ;-)

D.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?