Sunday, May 07, 2006

 

Taper madness with an injury

OK, here I am 20 days until the Blackfoot with a massive knot in my calf. What should have been a good day for my last really long run was instead reduced to a limping mess.

This past Wednesday, I was out to do intervals (800m x 10) on the track. During the warmup jaunt to the track, I felt this funky little twinge in my calf, but it wasn't too bad. After the second interval, I realized that if I continued, this would be a show-stopper. So with the fear of a DNS (did not start) I walked home. Should be fine after a massage I told myself.

Friday morning I had a massage. As the day progressed, the calf felt better, but still tender.

On Saturday morning my plan was to run to Assiniboine Park, run the Physio Fit 10k with the clinic group I've been teaching, then venture on for another couple hours. The run there was OK, but about 4 k into the 10k, I made the decision that I was going to take a DNF rather than risk hurting myself further. At the half way point (it's a two loop course) I walked off the course. The first time I've ever done that. It sucked. In fact, it still sucks.

Waiting for others to come in felt like crap. Jill helped me rationalize it that it wasn't worth it to push myself in an event that wasn't my A, B or even C event for the year. I called it my P event, for participation; as I knew that when I signed up, it was only because of the clinic that I was even there that morning. Did I mention it sucks taking a DNF? It really does. The bright side was that all the members of my clinic had an awesome run!

So here I am the next night, still with a tender calf and no plans to run for the next day or two. I've been only a bit stir-crazy today; but a new book has helped.

This will hopefully be my only DNF. I've already had a couple DNS from injuries in the past couple years, so this one was somewhat validated because there is no reason I shouldn't be OK in a few days....

D

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?