Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 

The final countdown

OK, here I am with 10 days to go and a whole lot of anxiety. This knot in my calf has been nagging at me for almost two weeks now; hopefully after a third massage tomorrow morning it should be pretty much beaten out of me :-) It never even twinged during last nights 4 mile run so that's a good sign.

I had a tough weekend, not running at all on Saturday with this funky calf, and then doing an easy 7.5 miles on Sunday. Not tough from the running, but tough from the mental game. Will my calf heal? How tough is the course going to be? Am I ready? Will my stomach be OK? A fellow Blackfooter had such a tough training run on the course on Saturday, I could feel her agony and tears in the e-mail.

The training in this last few days is really all about maintaining what's in the tank. 3 or 4 yoga sessions, another 2 or 3 weight workouts (upper body & core only) and some shorter runs, maybe up to 15 miles on Friday or Saturday.

Common sense dictates that there is no real training effect to be had at this point, but the mind while in taper does not always respect the bounds of common sense. There is some compulsive part of my inner psyche that wants to do one last 30+ mile run this week; bizarre I know.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?