Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

12 hours in 3 days

Well, the final 45 days of training. The mileage has been high, the legs are holding up. Now to tackle the toughest workout in my schedule this weekend. The lowdown is that on Friday I'll run for 6 hours, 2.5 of them going up and down Garbage Hill. Saturday will be 4 hours. Then top it all off, I'll do about 2 on Sunday.

Why? To really prove to myself that I'm ready for this crazy adventure I've embarked upon. If I pace it all right, I will cover the total 100km distance on Friday & Saturday. The hardest part for me will be to slow down on Friday. A few weeks ago I ran for 5 hours at an average pace of 9:01 min/miles. This is just way too fast for my ultra goal. I am going to throttle it back to 9:30-9:45. I just have to figure out how to set the Garmin to nag at me.


I'm sure that on Saturday it will be quite easy to stay slow, as I doubt I'll have any other speed but shuffle. I still want to keep the pace no slower than 10:15/30 that day though, but a good chunk of the run will be on trails, so it might just be naturally slower. We'll see how it all goes.

Sunday is going to be 5 miles with the clinic I'm teaching, and another 8-10 on my own. The clinic part will be relatively slow I'm sure, probably 12:00-13:00 min/miles depending on the group that morning.


I am planning on naps all three afternoons :-)

I am already looking forward to my massage on Monday morning.


D.

Comments:
Good luck Dwayne! I'm almost finished reading "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes, so I'm all hip to the ultra-thing right now (in a completely detached, not-in-my-lifetime-well-not-any-time-soon) kind of way). Sounds like you're well on your way.

- Pam
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?