Sunday, February 12, 2006

 

Only 103 days to go

Well, with 103 days to go before the Blackfoot 100k race my confidence is waning as an injury seems to be percolating. Yesterday I ventured out for a 25 mile run and had to bail after about 11 miles because of some nagging pains in my right thigh adductor. A few years ago I had problems with the left adductor, my physio attributed it to running in the snow when the footing was quite tenuous and the adductors had to work overtime to keep me on my feet. She got me started with some weight training to deal with it and I haven't really had problems since.

Yesterday would have been OK except for the bottom 150 m or so of Garbage Hill. It was loose blown in snow about 4-6 inches deep. I think the combination of the hill and the crappy footing caused the cramping to start. Or at least that's my theory and I'm likely to stick to it :-)

After what I thought was 5 repeats on the hill I decided to start heading back toward home. The plan in my head was that if I got back to Wellington Crescent and the thigh started calming down I would carry on with the rest of the run. The dull ache continued all the way down Strathcona Street and over the bridge as well. Although it wasn't a show stopper in terms of pain, I have got to a point that I don't want to push into the pain zone and risk a serious injury. So I turned left onto Wellington and headed for home. The total run was 11.18 miles in 1:53:01.

I have really been fighting the urge to pick up the pace on these long runs, I have to keep telling myself that I'm not training for a 3:20 marathon but a 10:30 100k, so slow and steady is the way to go! Until I get my Garmin 205 in the next few weeks, I'm basing my pace on my heart rate.

The year to date mileage is 256.5 km. I created a map of virtual run from home to the west coast at gmap-pedometer, a great site for figuring out your runs. I'm just about at Oak Lake.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?